avatar

http://lookup.avatars.yahoo.com/ewimages?enc=YY.l5NVFScH_mAu5sxK0VCl6Yg--&size=large&type=jpg=jpg

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Thing 15

Wow! Whatever happened to the Dewey Decimal system and card catalogues? I think this new aproach to libraries using this for research, etc. is awesome if the libraries are equipped. First of all, I dont' think teachers are prepared to use this. That may be one our biggest issues: students are ready for this technology but teachers don't feel comfortable using it (and many have no interest.) Another issue holding us back is our actual computer labs. Going to the computer lab with 21 first graders is usually one of the most stessful hours of my week. Computers don't have the same programs, they freeze, the students hit something and lose all work, etc. It completely makes my blood pressure rise. Woah- sorry. Didn't mean to get off on a rant. I think library 2.0 will really help students!

2 comments:

jchoy said...

I agree...our computer labs are not being maintained well. I wish we had a technology person on campus whose sole job is to maintain the computer lab and help teachers and students use technology efficiently.
It would be so nice to just come in have everything work. Troubleshooting can be hard with 4th graders, so I know it must be harder with excited 1st graders.

Terry said...

I feel your pain! I've done projects with 1st graders in the computer lab but I'm the librarian and I have the teacher there for support! It's still exhausting! All I can say, is the more you do it, the better they get at handling it and the easier it gets on you!